Sue’s term on Carmel’s City Council began January, 2012. She proudly represents the needs of residents and businesses in northeast Carmel. In her role as council representative, Sue hopes to ensure our corporate base stays strong, our residential taxes low and our home values high by investing in positioning our community as a destination for corporations and residents seeking family-oriented amenities, education and arts, and ensuring public safety remains a top priority moving forward.
Since coming to Carmel in 2005, Sue has been very active in the community. Her previous leadership involvement includes:
- Chairperson, Carmel PorchFest
- Vice chair, Hamilton County Economic Development
- Board member for the Carmel Symphony Orchestra
- President/member of Carmel-Clay Kiwanis
- Secretary, City of Carmel’s Economic Development Commission
- Member, US 31 Community Advisory Committee
- Alumna, Richard G. Lugar Excellence in Public Service Series
- Alumna, Stanley K Lacy Executive Leadership Series
- Member, Indiana Assoc. of Cities and Towns Legislative Committee and Transportation Committee
Professionally, Sue is Director, External Engagement at Indiana Donor Network. Sue has previously worked in human resources, marketing, business management and consulting roles for more than 20 years.
Sue grew up in northern Michigan, received her Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from Central Michigan University, and upon moving to Indiana, was awarded a Master’s Degree in Management from Indiana Wesleyan University. Sue has also authored a textbook, is a former column editor for a professional healthcare journal and is a former columnist for the Current in Carmel.
On the personal side, Sue is married to Joe Finkam, a professional engineer and business owner. They have a son, Drew, who attends Carmel schools. They are very much a “sports family,” involved in the Indiana Fire Juniors travel soccer program. Joe, Sue and Drew also attend Grace Community Church.